Truck and Motorcycle Accidents in Baton Rouge, LA – Find the Right Attorney Today
Commercial trucks and motorcycles present special dangers on the road, both for other drivers and the drivers of these vehicles. When a collision involving either one of these vehicles occurs, the resulting damages and injuries can be life-threatening if not fatal, and forever change the lives of those involved. If you’ve been involved in a truck or motorcycle accident in Baton Rouge, LA, it is crucial that you obtain an experienced attorney who can immediately initiate an investigation, gather the evidence necessary in order to prove your case, and ensure that you take all of the necessary steps in order to obtain the compensation you not only need, but deserve. Read on to learn more about the particulars of truck and motorcycle accidents in Baton Rouge, LA, and how an attorney can help.
Motorcycle Accidents in Baton Rouge, LA
You don’t have to tell a motorcycle enthusiast twice: riding one produces a thrill and sense of freedom that no other vehicle can, putting you in direct contact with your environment and the world around you. This, however, doesn’t come without a level of vulnerability that places you at risk of sustaining catastrophic injuries in an accident.
In addition to a lack of protection afforded by other types of vehicles, it is easier for motorcycles to go unnoticed by other drivers, simply because most drivers expect to see—and therefore see—cars and trucks on the road. Motorcycles are commonly involved in a phenomenon so common that there’s a name for it: “Looked But Failed to See” (LBFTS) crashes. Looking but failing to see a motorcyclist—or even failing to look in the first place—and thereby causing a collision doesn’t automatically make someone a bad person, but it does make them responsible for the damages incurred as a result of that collision. Ensuring that they are held responsible is a process that will require the expertise and dedication of an experienced motorcycle accident attorney.
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Baton Rouge, LA, you are likely dealing with serious consequences. Whether you’re suffering from broken bones, organ damage, a traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic stress disorder, or any number of other conditions, David E. Stanley is a compassionate and knowledgeable attorney who may be able to help you obtain the following forms of compensation:
- Pain and suffering
- Coverage for medical costs associated with the injury and recovery process
- Loss of income
- Coverage for future medical costs
- Lost earning capacity
Truck Accidents in Baton Rouge, LA
The average 18-wheeler or trailer truck weighs about 80,000 pounds—over twenty times the weight of an average-sized passenger vehicle. If collisions between passenger vehicles can result in serious and even fatal injuries, it’s hard to imagine the type of injuries that result from collisions with twenty times the amount of force. Unfortunately, thousands of truck accidents occur in Louisiana every year, many of them in the Baton Rouge area.
The process of trying to prove fault on behalf of a truck driver or trucking company can become very complicated, even for someone who didn’t just experience a traumatic situation and isn’t trying to recover from serious physical injuries. Having an experienced attorney by your side will not only simplify the process and eliminate as much of your stress as possible, but also ensure that the time constraints and regulations unique to trucking accident cases are not overlooked at the expense of your claim.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Baton Rouge, LA – Find an Attorney Who has Dealt with them All
- Distracted driving—Just like drivers of passenger vehicles, truck drivers can cause the loss of someone’s life by taking their eyes off the road for even one second.
- Long hours and pressure placed on truck drivers—Truck drivers are incentivized to reach their destinations as quickly as possible, even if doing so means forgoing a night’s worth of sleep. This not only breeds exhaustion, but a sense of hurriedness, both of which can lead to catastrophic accidents.
- Poor truck maintenance and/or defects—Truck drivers and/or the companies they work for have a duty to maintain the safety of their trucks, which means replacing brakes and tires when necessary, keeping mirrors and windows clean, replacing brake lights, headlights, and hazard lights, and ensuring that the engine is working properly. Neglecting to maintain the safety of operating trucks can lead to fatal accidents on the road.
- Inadequate training—Due to a shortage of truck drivers and/or the desire to cut back on the costs of training or paying experienced drivers, trucking companies may be inclined to hire inexperienced drivers or provide inadequate training, leading to a greater chance of errors and accidents on the road.
- Poorly-secured loads—If a load is not properly secured, it is at risk of falling onto the roadway or shifting from side to side and causing the truck itself to tip, leading to serious accidents that could affect multiple other drivers on the road.
Unique Aspects of Truck Accident Investigations and How an Attorney in Baton Rouge, LA Can Help
In addition to the types of evidence collected in car and motorcycle accidents, an investigation into a truck accident involves obtaining evidence that most people wouldn’t even know to look for, such as the truck’s communication system, records of required breaks and rest periods taken by the driver, maintenance logs and inspection reports, and the driver’s license number and training file. All of these items can be obtained with the assistance of an attorney who has experience dealing with truck accidents in Baton Rouge, LA.
Don’t go it Alone – Get the Support You Need From an Attorney Who Cares About You
In the aftermath of a traumatic injury, many people are desperate for any help they can get, leaving them vulnerable to low and unfair offers by at-fault party insurance companies. At the same time, most people have no idea what their case could be worth, which can end up costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Don’t be one of these individuals; reach out to David E. Stanley, a truck and motorcycle accident attorney who provides Baton Rouge, LA residents with decades’ worth of invaluable experience.
Contact the law office of David E. Stanley APLC to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case.